Council is positioning Liverpool as a City of Innovation. Liverpool’s city centre has the core attributes of a strong innovation ecosystem – a cluster of health and education institutions, increasing mixed development, transport options and a technically wired, walkable centre.
To build upon this agenda and context as Sydney’s third Central Business District (CBD), Council sought to develop an Innovation Strategy that engages staff, community and key stakeholders.
What we did:
Astrolabe developed an innovation strategy and implementation roadmap in partnership with Council, framed by international best practice and informed by a co-design process.
Our approach used research and engagement to guide project development, with a literature review, community and staff consultation and digital engagement all used to inform delivery of the strategy. The strategy’s central focus was how city innovation can benefit the community and support the key city challenges around rapid growth and liveability, enabling the community’s vision in the Community Strategic Plan – Our Home Liverpool 2027.
An innovation audit was facilitated through Council and community workshops which included a keynote presentation and knowledge share on the use of technology in city shaping by Miguel Gamino, former Chief Information Officer of New York City and Vice President of Mastercard currently leading their City Possible network.
- The final strategy, Innovation Liverpool, was approved by Council on 6 February 2019.
- Accompanying implementation roadmap and KPIs established to support activation by the Innovation team at Council
- Strategy a key attraction for large technology company as anchor tenant for Liverpool CBD
- Design Thinking introduced as new approach to addressing complex issues within Council
- Partnership with University of Sydney’s MBA program for design of innovative wayfinding tools
- Knowledge share with Landvetter Sodra as part of MoU with Liverpool