A demographer and social policy expert, Kim provides leadership for the development of evidence-based strategy and policy. As a skilled communicator, Kim understands population dynamics and how these affect different parts of the community and how to talk to diverse audiences about impacts on place. Recognised for her demographic expertise, Kim is an advisor to NSW Government and local governments.
Kim utilises her deep experience in research and data to develop place based strategy and policy. She brings insights from a career that spans the public, not-for-profit, academic and private sectors, giving her inside knowledge of how these sectors operate and can work together. Kim can take complex ideas and diverse data sources and distil them into easy to understand concepts and actions.
Some project highlights:
- Project Manager for a report and dashboard on Australia’s household infrastructure bill for Infrastructure Australia, with UNSW City Futures
- Led development of smart city strategies for Waverley City Council and Central Coast Council, and an innovation strategy for Liverpool City Council
- Prepared population analysis and projections for Parkes Shire Council to inform their Local Strategic Planning Statement and for the Hunter Joint Organisation of Councils to identify population factors that would lead to more growth
- Analysis of the commuting impact on communities in outer growth suburbs of Australia for the National Growth Areas Alliance (NGAA)
- Prepared a comprehensive overview of the operating environment for the Energy and Water Ombudsman of NSW.
Kim’s work has given her in-depth knowledge of population changes across Australia. She has worked for the NSW DPIE preparing population, household and dwelling projections, is a past Vice President of the Australian Population Association and currently sits on the editorial advisory board for the Australian Population Studies Journal. Her PhD research in the Northern Territory focused on Indigenous fertility, giving her insights into the complexities of population data affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. She is a Non-Executive Director for Family Planning NSW and is chair of their International Program Advisory Committee.
When not working at Astrolabe, Kim spends as much time as possible dancing.